Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 2015 09:29:40 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>, freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XenServer 6.5(SP1) - HVM 're0: watchdog timeout' errors...

--On 08 September 2015 17:06 +0100 Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
wrote:

> XenServer logs:
>
>  "Migrating VM 'FreeBSD (SWR)' from 'Xen1' to 'Xen2' Internal error:
> Xenops_interface.Internal_error("Unix.Unix_error(2\"open\",\"/var/lib/xen
> /qemu-save.36\")")"

As a follow-up to this - the patch definitely breaks migrations. Removing
the 'e1000' from the custom field (so you get Realtek NIC's) - the migrate
completes fine.

Leave 'e1000' set - you get Intel em devices, but migrates fail - XenCenter
spits out the error above.

>From /var/log/messages on the destination node - I can also see:

"
Sep  9 09:18:55 Xen2 xapi: [ info|Xen2|33915 INET
:::80|network.attach_for_vm R:xxxxxxx|xapi] PIF
yyyyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyy-yyyyyyyyy is needed by a VM, but not managed by xapi.
The bridge must be configured through other means.
"

So it looks like XenServer at least cannot support this configuration? - So
I'm back painted into a corner :( - PV NIC's can't "route" traffic (or do
DHCP servers, or OpenVPN etc.) - HVM NIC's can do all of that but cannot be
used agile, and may fail eventually anyway with 'watchdog timeout'.

Gah.

-Karl