Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:16:45 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem cvsup'ing gnats

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 12:49:46AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > >       I have no idea what the committer's guide says, but here is the cvsup file
> > > I've used for years. The first set of entries is for the cvs repo files,
> > > but it does slurp down the gnats files as well. Oddly enough, this
> > > information is in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/gnats-supfile.
> > >

> > Which info exactly? It makes no mention of tags (except implicitly I
> > suppose, by virtue of the fact that there's no tag= entry).
>
> 	So how big of a stick would you like us to hit you with? :) Seriously...
> why would someone create an example supfile that A) didn't work, or B)
> contained more information than was necessary to make it work?
>
> > > *default release=current
> > > gnats
> > >

> > How does all this work without a tag?
>
> 	The question you really want to ask yourself is, what do the tags mean,
> and why _would_ you specify a tag to slurp the gnats files?

The answer to both your questions (I know you posed 3, but I don't
want hitting with a stick) is that I (mis)understood that if there was
no ``tag='' entry then ``tag=.'' was the default, i.e. src-all would
get you -current.

OK, I'll go and RTFM, but looking back at your supfile that you
posted in an earlier message I see no tags at all, and given that
``tag=.'' doesn't work for gnats, I can only come to the conclusion
that the *implied* tag is different for each collection.

--
  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?