Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:54:41 -0600
From:      Jacques Vidrine <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-vuxml@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [Fwd: cvs commit: ports/security/vuxml vuln.xml]

[...]
>   Corrections:
>   - An invalid UUID was assigned to a FreeRADIUS vulnerability, and went
>     undetected since last October.  (>_<)   Correct it.

Hi,

This is an interesting, if unfortunate, situation.  If you are the
author of a web site or application that processes VuXML, you should
probably be aware of this specific issue.

An entry was created with an invalid `vid' attribute.  The vid is
supposed to be a UUID (see [1] [2]).  Unfortunately, this entry
apparently suffered mutilation during cut-n-paste: the last character
was dropped.  I corrected the error by restoring the last character.  I
know what that character was "supposed to be" by looking at other
entries made by the same committer.  (^_^)

But since the vid is used as a "key" for entries, VuXML parsing
applications may need to take special action to purge the old identifier
(20dfd134-1d39-11d9-9be9-000c6e8f12e) from their files/databases.
Normally when an entry is in error, we can just "cancel" it, but in this
case that isn't possible: even a cancellation refers to the vid.

If you have any questions about this, please let me know!

Oh, I don't expect a repeat in the future.  I'm checking for this kind
of mistake now, and fairly frequently.  I will likely later add a port
to "lint" VuXML files, also.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A Vidrine / NTT/Verio