Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:11:32 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGDANGER

On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 08:30:38PM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:

> dyson@freebsd.org said:
> :- We do need to adopt an extended signal set, and I think that someone
> :- else has already developed it.  SIGDANGER could be valuable.
>
> I've always considered this to be one of the most brain dead
> mis features of AIX, since it invariably picks the process you
> least want have killed, like the compiler that doing part
> of your three-hour integration build.  Or your emacs.  Please
> don't add this to freebsd.

This already is in FreeBSD.  We already have memory overcommit.

I think SIGDANGER is a neat way of allowing some processes to avoid
being killed - e.g, I'd add this to my X-server, as I'd much rather
loose my Netscape than my X-server _and_ my Netscape...

Of course, what I'd _really_ like is some way for the processes that
get SIGDANGER to signal that they're going to return buffer memory,
and a way for a process to tell that it _want_ those SIGDANGERs.

Boy - we're approaching my Amiga every day *grin*.

Eivind.