Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:12:49 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla core... & HotSpot update

> > > It's kind of funny way of dealing with EINTRs and I suspect that they did
> > > that to avoid dealing with syscall return value specifics. I'm not sure
> > > how valid that is for FreeBSD. I wonder if I can do something else to get
> > > around using this rather hackish macro and if the return valids of those
> > > functions would be sufficient for reporting interrupts thrown by a Unix
> > > signal. That's currently under examination.
> >
> > It seems to me that it's not even necessary, since syscalls can't be
> > interrupted, you have nothing to handle.  Unless I'm misunderstanding
> > what you're saying.
>
> Right, the BSD behavior prevents this, which might be a problem for
> implementing interruptable IO. The Linux code just omits that stuff
> completely.

Then we can as well.  (Although, it might make things interesting for
the new nsio stuff in 1.4).

> > > The basic thing here is to handle the delivery of a SIGUSR1 to a
> > > thread in a syscall
> >
> > See above.  You can't interrupt an IO syscall in BSDs.  However, that
> > may change in 5.0, but that's a ways off, so it may end up being a 6.0
> > feature.
>
> I know. I'm wonder if I should mess with this at all right now. You
> definitely gave me some clarity on this issue.

Ok, here's some more clarity.  Don't even mess with this at all right
now. :) :)

> > How about making diffs available for folks to review?
>
> I might as well commit it if that's the case.

If there are that much of a mess, then diffs might be easier.  However,
if you get hit by a truck or find some chickie-poo who drags you away
from your computer for long stretches of time, we'd like to have access
to your bits, if not your brain. :)

Nate