Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:39:16 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmkind.lnk.telstra.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslog Question

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 at 15:35 SAT, Brendan Kosowski wrote:

> I was a Linux user but have now changed to FreeBSD. I noticed that with
> Linux, any TELNET or FTP activity was logged to /var/log/messages.
>
> I noticed that FreeBSD does not log TELNET or FTP activity to
> /var/log/messages.
>
> My syslog.conf is very simple :
>
> *.info		/var/log/messages

First suggestion:  Make a study of syslog.conf(5).  If the above is all
you're doing with syslogd, you're missing out on a lot.  ;-)

Second suggestion:  Play with the auth and authpriv facilities.  Change the
above to include auth.* and authpriv.*, and see if you get what you need.
(Note:  You might want to send authpriv.* to a separate logfile, readable
only by root.)

Last suggestion:  Install the tcp_wrappers port.  tcpd is much more
conscientious about logging to syslogd than many "raw" daemons.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878