Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:41:10 -0700
From:      underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com>
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> writes:

> At 08:49 PM 9/1/2003, Randi Harper wrote:
>
>>Ack, thinks for pointing that out. I hadn't even considered
>>that. Damn. Well, can you think of a better toolkit to use for this
>>purpose? Are there any decent ones that aren't GPL'ed?
>
> I don't know. There's probably something out there that would fill
> the bill.
>
> By the way, QT wasn't originally GPLed, but the Linuxoids beat on
> the vendor until it capitulated and released a GPLed version.

(I shortend the quotes, as Brett Windowized Randi's text into
paragraph-per-line format.  Windows must not have been GPLed.)

One thing that Qt has going for it is that the Qt people offer cash
money terms in addition to the GPL's cross-licensing terms, if you
want to avoid GPL infection.

I got started on a survey (starting at the table at
http://www.atai.org/guitool/ ) of C++ GUI libraries one day last week,
and found these (all with BSD/MIT-type licenses except as
noted). There are several others listed in the table -- Arachne,
Andrew, Yacl, Cvo, C++ wrappers of OpenMotif, and a few more.

I'm guessing that most of these will work on FreeBSD with little work,
except Fresco seems to need some "configure" work.  The downside of
them all is the small user base, and some have few docs.

IVTools
    http://www.ivtools.org/ivtools/index.html
    Mostly supported by one guy who made a living off using it, but
    there is a small user group.  This was a significant improvement
    of a GUI lib developled by the people behind X11's Fresco.
    FreeBSD port: /usr/ports/graphics/ivtools
Amulet
    http://pecan.srv.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/misc/mosaic/common/omega/Web/Groups/amulet/amulet-home.html
    CMU webpages say they've put it in the public domain.   I've seen
    little evidence of a user community, except:
    FreeBSD port: /usr/ports/devel/amulet
Fresco
    http://www.fresco.org
    The name is being used by a GPL'd Fresco derivative, but a non-GPLed
    1998 version is available. (I played with it on Linux back then.)
    Lots of "modern" features; uses CORBA, IDL, structured graphics,
    good layout scheme, etc., but needs more widgets, docs, and developers.
    Designed to be cross-platform, but has only been ported to Linux&WinNT.
    FreeBSD: Needs "configure" work.
Zoolib
    http://zoolib.sourceforge.net
    Cross-platform.  Sounds good, except few docs and few users.
Open Amulet
    http://www.openip.org/oa_overview.html  Open Amulet; homepage dated Jul'00
    Someone tried to advance Amulet (PD wasn't open enough?), but
    seems to have given up.
VCF
    http://vcf.sourceforge.net/  C++ API; sounds interesting; good docs.
    This looks quite good, but its main platform is MSFT and the Linux
    version is currrently broken.
WideStudio
    http://www.widestudio.org/EE/index.html  IDE+lib; web page
    mentions FreeBSD; Seems to have stopped development Dec'02.
    Looks good.
YAAF
    http://www.yaaf.org/; said to be good; almost no docs;