Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:13:28 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd under windows 10

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:42:02 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> The Microsoft September Windows 10 update is providing a method for
> installing Unix flavored operating systems [IE: Linux, Ubuntu, SUSE and
> Fedora]   under windows 10.
>
> Read the end of this story for details at this link
> https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ubuntu-linux-available-in-windows-10-store/
>

> What is Freebsd doing to join the group?

Probably nothing. It's not good to join any group just because
it does exist. ;-)

Actually, you can understand the "Windows Subsystem for Linux"
like FreeBSD's Linux ABI, or like what wine is providing to
run "Windows" programs on FreeBSD and Linux: You can install
Linux OS components and additional applications and run them
on "Windows", just as you can run a "Windows" program on FreeBSD
using wine. As far as I understand, you do not run the Linux
kernel (read: Linux itself), instead the WSL presents Linux-like
kernel interfaces and library calls for the applications executed.

That's why the possible assumption of "running one OS inside
another OS" is not valid here. The support is limited to a specific
subset of GNU/Linux operating system distributions. You do not
install Linux under "Windows", nor can you install FreeBSD under
"Windows". Except for virtualization, you cannot install and run
an operating system under "Windows".

You can find more about the nature of WSL here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

As you can conclude, FreeBSD uses a different kernel and system
library than Linux, so MICROS~1 would have to implement them
completely differently, maybe as WSF. ;-)

In my opinion, this is a nice approach to add normal computer
functionalities to the "Windows" environment which lacks them.
Until now, the common solution was install Cygwin, but with the
ongoing "rising of the walls" a solution native to the "Windows
Store" where people can rent software for the computer they
cannot control anymore. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany