Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Steven Honson <shonson@planetquake.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making copys of the FreeBSD CD's

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 05:34:19PM +0930, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
> > > I was planing on making a backup because I use the cd's quite a bit
> > > installing it onto servers at work, and I had quite a lot of trouble
> > > getting a copy of it where i am in the world. I did not realise that I
> > > would be breaching any copyrights by making a backup of a free operating
> > > system.
> >
> > No, you're not breaching copyright by making copies for backup
> > purposes.  You would be breaching copyright by making copies for
> > distribution to other people.  As I said above, I doubted your
> > motives, because people don't normally make backups of CDs.  I've
> > taken a look at your web site, and I'm beginning to think that this
> > doubt was unfounded.
> >
> > I don't know why you should have difficulties getting hold of CDs
> > where you are, but if you need any, let me know.
>
> What exactly distribution means? Am I violating copyright doing
> two-three copies of the whole cd-set for giving away without any cost
> except the cost of writable cd's?

	Probably yes, but I really doubt that WC Archive would sue you for
it. (Of course, I don't represent them in any way.)

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"