Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:45:59 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        tylei@hotmail.com ("Jerry Lei")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: an error message from sendmail

On 6 Apr 2000 19:01:15 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My FreeBSD3.3-release sometimes will give me an error message like
>sendmail: gethostbyaddress(my IP address) error.
>
>Can anyone give me a suggestion about this error message? Thanks.

Yes, the IP address does not have a DNS PTR record for it.  If its just a
192.168.x.x address (i.e. from the RFC 1918 space), you can add an entry
for it in the /etc/hosts file, and then change the order of /etc/hosts.conf
or add something like

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.192.168.1";
};

in /etc/named.conf

and db.192.168.1 has something like

@ IN SOA my.example.com. me.example.com. (
        200004060               ;       serial
        10800                   ; refresh after
        3600                    ; retry after
        604800                  ; expire after
        66000 )                 ; minimum TTL

;
; Define the name servers
                IN NS   my.example.com

;
; Addresses
1               IN PTR  my-inside-address.example.com.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)