Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 08:59:24 -0400
From:      "Joseph Wright" <jwright@mbakercorp.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   TrueType fonts

I am trying to get TrueType fonts working under FreeBSD 4.3
I am using XFree86 3.3.6 with Xfstt. I have been reading old mailing list =
items for two days trying different things to get TrueType fonts to work =
but I have had little luck.  I have tried the following.  I copied my =
window$ ttf fonts over to my server under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType=
 and ran ttmkfdir > fonts.dir and created the fonts.dir file which has =
information inside it about my fonts.  Next I set the following in my =
.xinitrc file( xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType and xset fp =
rehash)  when I try to start x I get the following error.

failed to set default font path "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
Fatal Server Error:
Could not open default font 'fixed'

I also tried adding xset +fp unix/:7101 to my .xinitrc file but that =
returns an "unable to open display"

thanks

joe