Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:33:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, dennis wrote:
> Ok, so ET has a better product, but the other guys are nicer?
>
> I'll take that every time.....
>
> I will never understand the philosophy of buying inferior products because
> the salesman are nicer. The woman who sold me my Lexus was a real b*tch,
> but I love my car.......I even say hello to her when I bring it in!

The product may be inferior, Windows supports my soundcard better than
FreeBSD, and if I want to play off-the-shelf games I have to use Windows,
if I want to do some graphic design I'd use windows, because I can't get
Photoshop for FreeBSD.

To the same end, I'd rather have and SDL card, knowing that it will work
well enough but maybe not as well as the equivalent etinc card (with the
same hitachi chipset and 32k of memory ?

Even if the etinc card is better I'll buy SDL, because I know they are
helpful and polite. If both do the job, why not chose on who is the nicer
bloke, especially considering either could go wrong and I'd prefer to
talk to helpful support staff.

 --
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.