Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2011 00:21:37 -0500
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CVS removal from the base
References:  <CADe0-4kEJsj5pe6h4ZVPGg-hFEjE7oC4Ya8VO7sdW9W3WZiajg@mail.gmail.com> <20111202115446.GB25963@server.vk2pj.dyndns.org> <CADe0-4=8z%2BpFAem83xMkYXYZCgCt9r_tX64he5Vx95OkAJqtFQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmonQQ-yHrDox35gpuaXXYV5j%2BUXOJH5jr93m3j=uBgbkWA@mail.gmail.com> <4ED974A2.7080606@FreeBSD.org> <4ED9EA27.8090206@inse.ru> <4EDABDE8.9060406@FreeBSD.org> <CAJ-VmokcdtPpz5a=Apy0OCTxmYHH9ELpVmYy%2BiurnTujUyyu3w@mail.gmail.com> <4EDBD5EF.9070207@freebsd.org> <4EDBE4A3.6010602@FreeBSD.org> <CAN6yY1ua0de1LLuqU-RZj341i520Ne2ZvYeeeSofzaD_mYAeow@mail.gmail.com> <m2pqg37vu4.wl%randy@psg.com> <4EDC135C.5000400@freebsd.org>

On Dec 4, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 12/4/11 3:36 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> This seems too reasonable a suggestion, but, as always, the devil
>>> is in the details. There will be long. painful discussions (and
>>> arguments) about what to remove from the base to the new structure
>>> and what things currently NOT in the base should be promoted.
>> as one with a long list of WITHOUT_foo=3DYES in /etc/src.conf, this is
>> tempting.  but, as you hint, is this not just doubling the number of
>> borders over which we can argue?
>>=20
>> but let's get concrete here.
>>=20
>> i suspect that my install pattern is similar to others
>>   o custom install so i can split filesystems the way i prefer,
>>     enabling net&  ssh
>>   o pkg_add -r { bash, rsync, emacs-nox11 } (it's not a computer
>>     if it does not have emacs)
>>   o hack /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to allow root with password
>>   o rsync over ~root
>>   o hack /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to allow root only without-password
>>   o rsync over my standard /etc/foo (incl make.conf and src.conf)
>>     and other gunk
>>   o csup releng_X kernel, world, doc, ports
>>   o build and install kernel and world
>>=20
>> and then do whatever is special for this particular system.
>>=20
>> anything which would lessen/simplify the above would be much
>> appreciated.  anything not totally obiously wonderful which would
>> increase/complicate the above would not be appreciated.
>=20
> my suggestion is that the 'sysports' or 'foundation ports'  or
> 'basic ports', (or whatever you want to call them) in their package
> form come with the standard install in fact I'd suggest that they
> get installed into some directory by default so that 'enabling' them
> ata later time doesn't even have to fetch them to do the pkg_add.
>=20
> They have pre-installed entries in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. and only their r=
c,d
> files need to beinstalled into /etc along with their program files.
> They are as close to being as they are now with the exception of
> being installed in the final step instead of at the same time as the rest o=
f the stuff,
> and it allows them to easily be 'deinstalled' and replaced by newer versio=
ns.

I really don't understand how this is much different than having them exist i=
n base.  We have WITHOU_foo (I don't really care if that were to become WITH=
_foo if we want to default to a more minimum system), so one can always use p=
orts if they want some different version of foo.  And it's not just releases=
 we care about, we want a stable foo (BIND for example) with security and bu=
g fixes throughout all updates to -stable, not just at releases.

I want to do one buildworld and have a complete and integrated system.  I do=
n't see how having a separate repo for sysports helps; it is yet another thi=
ng I have to track.  And are ports in sysports going to default to being ins=
talled in / or /usr/local?

--
DE=