Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:42:56 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@atg.aciworldwide.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU Compiler Symlinks

> This seems wrong to me.  The man page I get when I look at the current
> cc man page is clearly the man page for gcc.

No, it's the manpage for cc. The fact that you get a manual page
that corresponds to the GNU C compiler is purely an implementation
artifact. (The fact that the title and command name references in
the formatted manpage refer to "gcc" is a bug, IMO.)

> This seems backwards.  The GNU tools should be installed with the GNU
> names.  Installing as "cc" and "cc.1" should be the optional bit, as you
> might want to install an alternative compiler with those names, but retain
> gcc since that's what the system is designed to build with.

No, the system is designed to be built with cc. Again, the fact
that cc happens to be the GNU compiler on FreeBSD is an implementation
artifact. The canonical command name for the system C compiler is
still cc. Compiler implementations can change (witness Ultrix/Digital
UNIX and the introduction of the MIPSco compilers) however the name
stays the same. Without standard naming the system would be impossible
to use, since you would have no idea what the names of any of the
commands might be.

--lyndon