Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:51:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
To:        root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu (Gary Schrock)
Cc:        don@PartsNow.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-spam sendmail in 2.2.5?

Probably, I missing something, but I see
a rather logical configuration as follows:

1. There is a list of hosts allowed to send messages through
the server in question. Such list can be in sendmail.cf or in a
separate file, such as /etc/allowedtorelay, and can include
wildcards in order to contain the whole subdomains, e.g.
*.domain.com or 128.174.83.* (and/or using IP-mask)

(Remark: Limitation to the local host is too strict
and not appropriate for many situations, especially if you
are using one "postoffice" server as a "smart-host" to relay
the e-mail to everywhere outside.

2. Pop-clients :
a) If the client is in the same domain than this situation yields 1.
b) If the client is coming from any other domain (and not from a fixed list
which can be included by a special request to the administrator)
e.g. if somebody is using PPP from a personal ISP to read e-mails
from the business account, than that ISP should provide mail-server
(postoffice, etc.) which shell accept e-mails from any of the
PPP/SLIP computers.

Hope this helps.

IgoR