Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:54:53 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal to clarify mbuf handling rules

> 	But how would you take care of removing a M_RDONLY flag for an mbuf
>   referring to certain external storage where that one mbuf is not the only
>   mbuf referring to it?

At the time external storage is first attached to a mbuf you can set
M_RDONLY if it must never be written to (eg. sendfile bufs or parts
of the NFS zero copy stuff might want to do similar). If the M_RDONLY
flag is set you must not write to the buffer, otherwise you can write
to the buffer if it's a simple mbuf or if the reference count on the
external storage is 1.

(Atleast, this is the system I had in mind).

	David.