Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:47:56 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Smith <craze@eta.ee.fit.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intel ether express pro

> >>    If that is the PCI version, then try putting it in a different PCI slot.
> >
> >"Built in" typically means "on the motherboard".
>
>    I obviously missed that. It would be interesting to install a PCI Pro/100+
> and see if the behavior changes.

I tried this with one of the IBM systems; the card in that case was
probed but never sent/received any traffic (and did not kill the
system).  A 3c905 in the same slot worked fine.

> That would lead me to think that the BIOS
> is doing something funky to it. I wonder if doing a "FXP_PORT_SOFTWARE_RESET"
> rather than, or in addition to, the "FXP_PORT_SELECTIVE_RESET" would effect
> the problem?

It's possible that these systems are ones with DHCP network boot
support, which may be leaving the chips in non-default states. I'll see
if I can remember your suggestion next time someone complains; thanks.