Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 22:17:49 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   URL and TCPMUX

While discussing port number assignments for a pile of engineering
applications, I brought up the subject of RFC1078 TCPMUX while a web
developer was present.  He had not heard of TCPMUX before, but he
immediately saw that it would be a useful way to supplant the port
number component of the URL with something a bit more flexible; a
service name.  This seems to be a reasonable and obvious idea, so I read
the relevant parts of the central URL RFCs (1738 and 2396) and searched
the rest.  AFAICT, this is an original idea among the published RFCs.

Comments?

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.