Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 23:34:34 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom Watchdog Time-out Bug

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 11:15 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
> > Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 21:10:22 -0700
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > I have a Xircom CE3B-100BTX 10/100 PCCard that has always
> > worked sort-of okay with the STABLE xe driver when set up
> > with a fixed IP address.  There's always been the minor
> > problem that it suffers one watchdog timer alarm before being
> > successfully configured.  With a fixed IP, that's no real
> > problem, but with DHCP, dhclient gets confused by the
> > watchdog and fails consistantly.
> >
> > [ ... ]
>
> I want to try to fix this when I get a little time, but it's
> not a problem for me, so it may not happen in my lifetime. :-(
>
> What I wonder is why it's a problem for you?  [ ... ]

I don't know if it's related -- since I'm talking about a
different card.  But I had similar trouble with xe(4) in
4-STABLE, too.  The Xircom 10MBit card I had (logs cited below)
was of almost no use when trying new connections (read: icmp and
udp packets plus initial tcp connection establishment).  DNS
usually timed out, ping -n didn't work and ssh sessions took
quite a few timeout/retry cycles to start.  Using established
connections went fine (it's when I started running screen(1)
inside ssh(1) sessions instead of switching terminals:) ...

Jun 26 12:27:13 stein pccardd[46]: Card "Xircom"("CreditCard 10Base-T") [PS-CE2-10] [2.10] matched "Xircom" ("CreditCard 10Base-T") [(null)] [(null)]
Jun 26 12:27:18 stein /kernel: xe0: Xircom CE2, bonding version 0x40
Jun 26 12:27:18 stein pccard:xe0: Xircom CreditCard Ethernet inserted

In some three weeks I could get my hands on one of these cards
and have it run again in the same machine in case you want me to
test something or to collect diagnostic data.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net