Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:29:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ed Suchocki <esuchocki@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with bsd

On Sunday, 29 November 1998 at 21:50:25 -0600, Ed Suchocki wrote:
> I know that many people are using Free Bsd in their systems. I'm curious how
> these people have been able to figure where to start in using the system. I
> was expecting to find some insight here on the web but there is none to be
> found. How to download the software is as clear as mud. A person must be
> completely familiar with FTP and Free BSD before attempting to download and
> install it. If Free bsd is to get into the main stream there must be a
> better way for people to get useful and clear information as to how to
> install and download this system. The books that I have found are of no
> great help either.

Which books are you thinking of?

> This operating system is only good to those who already know it!
>
> 	If you know of any sites or books that discuss the features of FreeBSD and
> have examples of how to use FTP to download it, I would appreciate the
> information.
>
> I'm currently using MS Explorer 4.0 and I do not see any way of starting an
> ftp file transfer (no reference in help).

It looks like your problem is Microsoft, not FreeBSD.  Join the club.

There's a little-known MS-DOS mode program called FTP, which will do
just what you want it to do.  In fact, if you had the tools on
Microsoft, you could find that it is, in fact, a variant of BSD ftp.

Greg