Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:52:33 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sed question -- SOLVED

   > Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:28:07 +0200
   > From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
   > To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
   > Subject: sed question
   >
   > Hi there,
   >
   > can anyone tell me what's wrong with this command?
   >
   > > cat somefile | sed -E '~foobar~d'
   > sed: 1: "~foobar~d": invalid command code ~
   >
   > sed(1) says:
   >
   >    1. In a context address, any character other than a backslash (``\'')
   >       or newline character may be used to delimit the regular expression.
   >
   > TIA

   Sorry to bother everyone, I knew it'd be PEBKAC. In case someone else
   hits the same wall, here's how it works:

   1. ~ has a special meaning for sed, a fact I was unaware of.

   2. when you want to delimit the regular expression ('address') with
   something else than slashes, you have to backslash the _opening_
   delimiter. Leave the closing one alone; you'll get "unterminated
   regular expression" otherwise.

   That's it. Happy sedding. :)