Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 09:10:07 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Subject:   Re: output in crontab

I'm confused.
CRON(8)                 FreeBSD System Manager's Manual
CRON(8)

NAME
     cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron)

SYNOPSIS
     cron [-x debugflag[,...]]

DESCRIPTION
     Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will
return im-
     mediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'.
[..]
    minute.  When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner
of
     the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment
variable in
     the crontab, if such exists).
[..]

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> While porting some stuff from Linux I noticed that I can not redirect
> output from commands into a file. E.g.
>
> */3 * * * * date > stamp
>
> will not update the file. The manpage talks about BSD not being
> able to mail output, but fails to mention not handling output
> at all.
>
> What gives and, better still, how can I make this work?
>
> Roelof
>
> --
> Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik  (When U work in virtual office
                       U have good chance to obtain virtual money ö%-)