Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 12:36:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: stable vs. release?

On Saturday, 26 December 1998 at  5:41:39 -0200, Gustavo Vieira G C Rios wrote:
> Hi, i installed FreeBSD from the 4 set cdrom, it is version 2.2.7, but
> it's release, current or stable?

The 2.2.7-RELEASE CD-ROM is -RELEASE.  There are no -STABLE CD-ROMs,
because -STABLE keeps changing.  -CURRENT CD-ROMs are called snaphots.

> This question dues to i got src-2.2.08* and then a rebuild the world, my
> itentd is to update from 2.2.7 to 2.2.8, but my uname -s output
> indicates that i am runnning 2.2.7-stable. Should not it be 2.2.8 ?

Yes, it should.  This information is stored in
/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh: check what you have there.  You don't
say how you got the 2.2.8 sources, but I suppose it was via cvsup.
What tag did you use?

If newvers.sh is wrong, there's a chance that you didn't update other
stuff as well.  You should check your log files (you did log the
updates, didn't you?) to check that you supped the correct version.

Greg