Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:12:33 +0100
From:      lemon <lemon@aldigital.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading libssh and rtld

hi,

with respect to upgrading openssh on various boxes, i note that the
advisory[0] details killing and restarting sshd in order to bring the
new one into play.

the base sshd is dynamically linked against libssh, the version of which
doesn't appear to change over the upgrade.

my question is this: does the rtld notice the change in library and
reload it, or will it re-use the pre-upgrade one already in memory? the
latter suggests only a reboot will bring the new library into play,
especially if the work is being carried out over ssh, and so keeping an
sshd in play at all times.

i can't see any stuff in the rtld-elf source to suggest that it'll
notice a change in library files, but my understanding of the linker is
pretty flimsy.

regards, l.

[0]
<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-03:12.openssh.asc>;

--
lemon@aldigital.co.uk	+44 020 8742 0755   http://www.aldigital.co.uk/
system administrivia         c6 h8 o7          http://www.thebunker.net/