Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 2014 01:14:44 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   A PowerMac G5 rarity: explicit fatal kernel trap (data storage interrupt) instead of Copyright notice and boot text

On G5 PowerMac's (with lots of RAM) I frequently have boots that after =
clearing (going black) never display anything from where the Copyright =
notice should display on --and the fans gradually spin up indicating =
that it failed somehow.

Rarely an error message shows up instead of the Copyright and later boot =
text. This happend today and I wrote the one generated down so that I =
could leave a note about it. I've no clue how to repeat it in any =
reasonable time frame.

The text on screen was (not a copy of the detailed spacing):

fatal kernel trap
exception       =3D 0x300 (data storage interrupt)
virtual address =3D 0x2fb1948
dsisr           =3D 0x40000000
srr0            =3D 0x88fa84
srr1            =3D 0x9000000000003030
lr              =3D 0x8903e8
curthread       =3D 0xd0ccc0
pid =3D 0, comm =3D

Panic: data storage interrupt trap
cpuid =3D 0
KDB: stack backtrace
#0: 0x533d30 at ??+0
#1: 0x86346c at ??+0
#2: 0x864630 at ??+0
#3: 0x8595e0 at ??+0
Uptime: 1s

If I interpret what I found about this correctly the dsisr value =
indicates that the data's address was not-found in primary or secondary =
"page table entry group"s (so a page fault occurred that was not =
expected to need to be handled): indicated by DSISR[1] =3D '1'...

> Set if MSR[DR] =3D =921=92 and the translation for an attempted access =
is not found in the primary page table entry group (PTEG), or in the =
secondary PTEG (page fault condition); otherwise cleared.=20
Context: FreeBSD FBSDG5S0 10.0-STABLE FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 r268571: =
Sun Jul 13 06:28:19 UTC 2014     =
root@grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC64  =
powerpc

=3D=3D=3D