Date:      Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:24:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        fb-ports@psconsult.nl
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google-earth: memory fault

In article <20110405232519.GA60680@psconsult.nl> you write:
>Hi,
Hi!

>Until a couple of months ago, I was happily using google-earth on all
>my desktops and laptops.  Now, it exits with Memory Fault after
>creating the startup window, the main window and a tiny pop-up window.
>The pop-up window does not have a title not contents so I don't know
>what it's trying to tell me.  After this message, I'm back at the
>shell prompt, the three google-earth windows stay on the screen and
>do not react to resize or cancel messages from the window manager.
>There are 30 ./googleearth-bin processes still running and if I
>killall -1 googleearth-bin the window these processes and the windows
>on my screen disappear.
>
>One laptop had google-earth running fo nearly two years but one day,
>probably after the upgrade to google-earth-6.0.1.2032,1, it started
>exiting with the above message.  The notebook is running FreeBSD
>8.2-STABLE #4: Sun Feb 27 12:28:14 CET 2011 i386, has an Intel T7500
>Core 2 duo CPU and 3 GB RAM.
>
>The other laptop runs FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Mar 11 21:52:10 CET
>2011 amd64 on an Intel Q9100 CPU with 4 GB RAM.
>
>I can't get googleearth-bin to dump core, it just prints "Memory Fault"
>and exits.
>
>Any ideas ow to debug this?

Hm googleearth still runs here...  Did you have accellerated gl when
it still worked?  If not maybe that is broken again...  If you have
accellerated gl working for native executables but not for linux ones
you could try enabling AIGLX in your xserver and tell googleearth
to use that by setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 in it's environment.

 And if you don't have accellerated gl working at all but are using
an ati HD3xxx or HD4xxx card you could try setting WITHOUT_NOUVEAU
in make.conf and rebuilding a few ports after that, see the 20100207
entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING .

 HTH,
	Juergen