Date:      14 Feb 1999 01:05:41 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install -C

There's something funny about make installworld.

Specifically, it installs a lot of files with "install -C" regardless
of whether or not the INSTALL variable in /etc/make.conf actually is
set to "install -C". This is the case for:

 * header files
 * C++ template files
 * /boot/loader.help
 * /usr/libexec/ld.so
 * /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1

I can understand the reason for the first two (avoid needlessly
breaking dependencies), but not for the last three. In any case, I
think it would be better if we always used whatever the admin has set
INSTALL to in /etc/make.conf, and make "install -C" the default.

My main argument against always installing certain files with "install
-C" is that makes it very difficult to clean up after a major upgrade,
since you can't rely on "live" files to have a recent timestamp. I've
talked to people on IRC who deleted their Elf interpreter because its
mtime predated their last make world. Shooting yourself in the foot
like that is too high a price for the few seconds saved during make
installworld.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no