Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:37:35 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche@ua.ac.be>
Subject:   Re: py25-tkinter-2.5.4_3 / 2.6.2_3

On Thursday 11 June 2009 21:33:14 Pieter Donche wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Mel Flynn wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 June 2009 23:21:58 Pieter Donche wrote:
> >> portupgrade advertizes since 3 days:
> >> py25-tkinter-2.5.4_3                <   needs updating (index has
> >> 2.6.2_3)
> >>
> >> using portupgrade -a
> >> upgrades all other ports that need upgrading, but never py25-tkinter
> >>
> >> what's wrong here?
> >
> > I presume you didn't build the index yourself. Setting
> > PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=python2.6 in /etc/make.conf will likely solve your
> > problem.
> > --
> > Mel
>
> Should I then first install python26-2.6.2 from the ports?
>
> Shouldn't the portupgrade have somewhere asked to install a higher
> version of python (as it does for e.g. perl etc..)  ??
>
> I haven't met such an upgrade, my python is
> pkg_info | grep python
> python25-2.5.4_1    An interpreted object-oriented programming language

Sorry, I had to sleep. It is weird py25-tkinter had that version number
reported by portupgrade if you had python25 installed. I tested it on my box:
$ grep PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION /etc/make.conf
PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=python2.6

$ make -C /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-tkinter/ -V PKGNAME
py26-tkinter-2.6.1_3

$ sudo sed -i.bak -e 's/python2.6/python2.5/' /etc/make.conf

$ make -C /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-tkinter/ -V PKGNAME
py25-tkinter-2.5.4_3

You probably could have gotten rid of it, by doing a portsdb -uU (<opinion>or
upgrading to portmaster :P</opinion>).

Either way, having upgraded to python2.6 is not a bad thing, since it is now
the default version in ports. Over time the pain of mailman's cron spam and
forced upgrade will fade ;)
--
Mel