Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:14:07 -0600
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Jayesh Jayan" <jayesh.freebsdlist@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Freebsd 5.4 release to 5.4 stable

On 2/23/06, Jayesh Jayan <jayesh.freebsdlist@gmail.com> wrote:
> All are Dell Poweredge servers with identical specification.
>
> I did check the message logs an couldn't find any problem
>
> What are the other aspects which I need to check so as to find a solution=
.

I've had FreeBSD 5.4 randomly reboot on high quality hardware... Intel
made board, Intel chipset, Intel CPU, Intel approved RAM, and a Beefy
550W Fortron active PFC power supply.  In hindsight, as I sit here
running 6.0-RELEASE and 6.1-PRERELEASE on my systems, the FreeBSD 5.x
series was slow and buggy as hell. I don't fault the developers or the
release engineering team, they did the best they could with a system
that needed to be massively reworked to stay relevant.

Anyways,

After FreeBSD 5.5 is release the 5.x series will be officially put
down, like a rabid dog and we will deny that it ever existed, like
Netscape 5 :-). This means that you have two options, upgrade to 6.x
or upgrade to 6.x. If It were up to me then I would just skip
6.0-RELEASE and go straight to 6.1-PRERELEASE (RELENG_6), then cvsup
to RELENG_6_1 when it's officially released. Where possible I would
wipe the system and install a fresh copy, if not possible then I would
do a cvsup upgrade. Be sure to run a 'mergemaster -p' and then when
you run the standard mergemaster don't blindly hit "i" because at some
point in the stage it will ask you to install a new version of passwd
and group.

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/