Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2019 19:18:30 +0100
From:      Gunther Nikl <gnikl@justmail.de>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMDGPU RX580 OpenCL

Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology> wrote:
> > Slightly OT, but can you describe what is required to get Wayland
> > running? What additional software is required? Can I (still) use
> > xterm,
> > Opera 12, etc?
>
> Yes, you can run any X apps, Xwayland makes that work.

Are you using Xwayland yourself?

> So, if you want Wayland,
>
> - most importantly, you need a kernel built with the EVDEV_SUPPORT
> option, otherwise you won't get any input devices

AFAIK, this requires at least 11.2?

>   - (btw you can use evdev+libinput in Xorg too)

Do I need something special for Xorg when building/configuring?

>   - EVDEV_SUPPORT has been enabled by default in CURRENT and
> 12-STABLE, so 12.1 will be the first release to get evdev out of the
> box I think

I am on 11.2-RELEASE. Then I have to build a custom kernel.

> - set sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 to get events from individual
> keyboards/mice instead of the multiplexer — important for touchpads

Ok.

> - also it's very nice to have a kernel with
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS342768 (just landed in CURRENT, will be
> merged into 12-STABLE after a week) — otherwise unresponsive
> applications can make the whole desktop unresponsive (kinda like in
> the good old Mac OS 9.x days :D) — but it was surprisingly rare, I
> lived with that bug for over a year

I noticed that differential. I suppose the patch can be applied on
11.2+?

> - for now, you need access permissions on /dev/input* devices — I've
> been working on fixing that, there are patches (on differential for
> the kernel, on github for libudev-devd) but you can just chmod g+rw
> /dev/input/* and ignore security lol
>
> - you need mesa, the UI toolkits, etc. built with wayland support —
> thankfully, it's on by default in ports now, so it should all be in
> the official packages already :)

Up-to here it should be doable.

> - well, you need a compositor:
>   - there's Sway https://github.com/swaywm/sway which has FreeBSD
> support and it's already in a sort of user friendly state (for
> advanced users :D)
>   - there's my development fork of Weston
> https://github.com/myfreeweb/weston + it needs to be launched with
> https://github.com/myfreeweb/loginw — this is in development, not
> really documented
>   - KDE Plasma5 kwin_wayland — won't run directly on the desktop
> right now I think, only in a window. I'll need to investigate
> ConsoleKit2…

This looks bit more involved. Thank you for these instructions! I think
this will help me get started.

Regards,
Gunther Nikl