Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:56:46 HST
From:      knowtree@aloha.com
To:        Brian McCann <bjmccann@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem replication?

>      Does anyone know of something that will allow me to have 2 file
> servers and have their file systems be always in sync automatically?
> Basically, I'm looking for a rsync type program/system that runs in
> the background, and when a file is changed on server1, it is
> copied/updated/removed/whatever on server2.

Begin here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-virtual.html

By what process will files change? A requirement such as this implies
something more than generic filesystem actions, an application such as an
accounting system. In that case, the slave feature of mySQL may be what you
need, and check out postgresql, too. If the database solution doesn't fit,
perhaps the application could manage the redundant saves or periodic
syncronization.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu