Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:22:08 GMT
From:      Brian Neal <brian@free1.cetinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Logfile question

I have a question regarding logfile rotation and removal.  Specifically, my
messages and ftpd files have disappeared.  This is 2.2.6-STABLE.  I was
wondering if they would be deleted to free up space?  There was an incident
on this machine a few days ago, someone got ahold of a username and password
and got into the system via ftp.  This individual did not, however, have
permissions necessary to delete any of these files, however, since I have no
logs, I can't tell what did happen.  If this individual used some kind of
password dictionary to get in (obviously generating a very large amount of
unsuccessfull login attempts), could the messages log have been deleted to
conserve space?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Neal