Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2015 15:20:09 +0100
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcement: IPv6 promotion campaign

Hello,

>> FreeBSD supports IPv6 since 15 years and while IPv4 addresses running low, its quite annoying how often there is no IPv6 support for existing sites.
>>
>> I'm hit at a regularly basis by that lack of support and it happens to affect a greater number of the ports including some popular programs.
>>
>> For example rubygems.org misses IPv6 support, rendering more than 1.000 ports unfetchable and not buildable at an IPv6 only connection. Same is true for Firefox and Thunderbird.
>
>> Even codeload.github.com is not reachable via IPv6.
>
> They are aware of this and have been regularly contacted by various people from industry as well.

rubygem.org closed multiple open requests tickets ;)

If possible we find a solution for this denier. Maybe an IPv4 to IPv6
tunnel added to known ports as fallback? I could also provide a server
as fallback serving the needed files. Lets discuss this later!

>> LibreOffice for example is not buildable, because some of the dependencies are not fetchable.
>>
>> While this is of course not a problem of FreeBSD it hits me as FreeBSD user with my great numbers of IPv6 only jails ;)
>>
>> In the next weeks i will start an promotion campaign to reduce the lack of support.
>>
>> Therefore i will:
>> - create a list of ports not fetchable through IPv6
>> - assembling a list of affected hosters
>> - contact the projects and try to help them to add support
>>
>> If anybody is interested in help me with this task, feel free to contact me! :)
>
> Ich bin dabei :-)

Wunderbar, du bekommst bald eine E-Mail von mir :)

Greetings,
Torsten