Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 10:03:04 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Benjamin Close <cisbjc@cs.unisa.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WIreless Card Modes

On Wednesday, 15 May 2002 at 16:24:19 +0930, Benjamin Close wrote:
> Hi All,
>    Recently there has been a lot of info going across this list
> regarding the varying modes that the different wireless cards support.
> From this I noticed that it looks like a lucent/orinoco card could be
> used as an access point. Could someone confirm or deny this?

That depends on what you mean by "access point".  The 802.11 standard
has a fairly strict definition of the term (it's what provides the
infrastructure in infrastructure mode), but many people use it in a
more general term of "gateway".  AP software exists for FreeBSD, but
it's not freely redistributable.  On the other hand, you can run
wireless cards with newer firmware in IBSS mode, also called ad-hoc
mode, and achieve some of the benefits of an AP (power saving and EBSS
don't work).  You can also use demo ad-hoc mode, but that doesn't
interoperate well with other cards.  See
http://www.lemis.com/~grog/diary-feb2002.html#9 for some more details.

Greg