Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 10:34:32 +0200
From:      Tore Lund <tl001@online.no>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: You've Been Added!

Andy Sporner wrote:

> Aragon Gouveia wrote:
>
> >Can this sender be rejected at the MTA?
> >

> Better Idea,  how about changing MajorDomo to accept mail only from people
> registered on the list.  OK. This would inconvience some people.  But in
> addition
> to this, as most people are, I am also getting tired of the sex
> advertisements.

The reason for the inconvenience is that the list technology is behind
the times.  Many other lists - like Yahoo! groups - have options like
NOMAIL and neat ways to peruse messages online.  With such improvements
in place, anyone wanting to post could be a member without having to
receive all that mail.

Or, one could have a dedicated FreeBSD news server with all the lists on
it in the form of newsgroups.  (I have a hunch this too would reduce the
spam, but I don't know by how much in the long run.)

FreeBSD takes pride in being "on the bleeding edge", but it needs to be
said that in some ways it is all too pleased with outdated features,
like that list server.

Writing this as a non-member,
--
    Tore