Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:03:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.com>
Subject:   Re: Can't login as root using xdm (2.2)

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I have installed 2.2 on a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT. For some reason I can't
> 	login as root at the xdm prompt. An ordinary user works fine. root can
> 	login from a svag login prompt.
>
> 	What might I have wrong here?

Nothing; this is the result of a correct configuration.  :)

In /etc/ttys, ttys are marked as either "secure" or "insecure", defaulting
to the latter.  Only ttys marked "secure" will allow root logins.  X uses
network ttys, ttyp?, which are by default insecure.  Unless you have
absolutely no need for security, you're better off leaving them that way.

> --
> Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955
> Factory Automation Systems
> Atlanta Ga.
> --
> Look, look, see Windows 95.  Buy, lemmings, buy!
> Pay no attention to that cliff ahead...            Henry Spencer
> (c) 1997 Stan Brown.  Redistribution via the Microsoft Network is prohibited.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."