Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 20:10:41 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        davemeck <davemeck@drizzle.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NTFS partition and BSD

> davemeck wrote:
>
> If I am going to install FreeBSD on a system that currently runs NT
> 4 Workstation, and has both partitions formatted in NTFS, do I have
> to create a third partion that is FAT formatted?

You don't need to do anything except leave the space. The important
part is the the "/" partition has to be in front of cylinder 1024.
That equates to ~8.4GB. The FreeBSD slice can exceed that. I have a
2GB Fat16, a 3GB Dos Extended partition and at the end, a 15GB FreeBSD
slice. I create my own partitions for "/", swap, "/var", "/tmp", and
"/usr" out of the 15GB.

FreeBSD will create a single partition that includes all of them but
that usually doesn't work on the larger drives. Especially when you
are adding it at the end. By creating the 5 partitions, you don't have
any problem with 4.0. I tried adding 3.4 on to the system but it
created a partition that my PC would not recognize at boot. Version
4.0 has run pretty close to flawlessly. You just need to get it
installed and upgrade to stable. You may not have any problems with
the release version but they were some wavy hand things going on for
me that went away with 4.0-Stable.

Have fun,

Kent

--