Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:21:11 +0200
From:      "loiein" <loiein@hccnet.nl>
To:        "Doug Paquette" <dcpaq2@sbcglobal.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Backing up files

.tar is the standard extension for a TAR-file,
see http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/tar.html or 'man tar'

.gz is the extension for GNU-zip,
see http://www.gnu.org/software/gzip/gzip.html or 'man gzip'

a file that ends in .tar.gz is a zipped-tar-file...
so, you have to first unZIP it, and then unTAR it.