Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 06:07:55 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        John Mills <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NewbieQ on Update (Was: Re: FreeBSD patch level)

Hi John,

> I installed FreeBSD-4.5 from 'RELEASE' CDs I made.
> Now I want to be sure I have a "reasonable" set of
> fixes, especially security fixes.
> I used 'cvsup' and the 'standard-supfile' to pull a RELENG_4_5 fileset.
> My first question is, was this a good tag to achieve what I wanted, or
> should I have used RELENG_4 (or something else)?

Your choice is o.k. RELENG_4_5 will only have security updates on top
of the 4.5 RELEASE .
RELENG_4 will get new features in addition not available until the 4.5
RELEASE.

> My second question is, if I do change to RELENG_4 ("Stable", if I
> understand), will my system be dramatically different from what I got with
> 4.5 RELEASE, or what I'll get with RELENG_4_5 ?

Nope. Some new features are introduced from time to time. Track the
"stable" mailing list!

> I've noticed only one peculiarity in my current installation: the HDDs on
> my primary IDE are found and work properly by interupt, but for some
> reason the CDROM drive on the secondary is seen as "PIO" - these
> controllers have IRQs 14 and 15 respectively, according to the BIOS's
> startup log.
> My third question is: should this be a kernel configuration issue, a
> startup configuration issue, or some type of passed parameter at boot?

PIO has nothing to do with IRQ (interrupt requests). Newer drives are
able to use DMA instead of PIO.
This will decrease processor load and increase drive performance. Your
CDROM seems to only support PIO mode.

Ciao
Siegbert