Date:      02 Nov 2003 16:56:44 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        H.Wade Minter <minter@lunenburg.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating ports perl from 5.8.0 to 5.8.1

H.Wade Minter <minter@lunenburg.org> writes:

> On Nov 2, 2003, at 12:01 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > H.Wade Minter <minter@lunenburg.org> writes:
> >
> >> I'd like to update my ports-installed version of Perl from 5.8.0 to
> >> 5.8.1.  On my test system, I did a "portupgrade -rR perl", but it
> >> didn't update any of my installed p5- modules, which caused breakage
> >> until I reinstalled all of them by hand.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way to update Perl?  Would a "portupgrade -rRf" have
> >> helped?
> >
> > Yes.  "portupgrade -rf perl" is *exactly* what the incantation I would
> > have recommended.
>
> That didn't seem to work.  I ran that on one system, and it only
> upgraded perl, it didn't attempt to do any of the p5-* packages.

Hmm.  I guess those packages aren't dependent on a specific version of
perl; if they'd been built against the 4.x base system's version, for
example, you wouldn't have *wanted* them updated.  So they don't claim
to be dependent on the perl package itself.  I suppose that's a bit of
a special case.  I had tried it on a different case before sending my
message (because I don't have a perl port installed), and it had done
what I expected.