Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:31:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Robert Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAT gateway

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Robert Hall wrote:

> I'm setting up a FreeBSD 4.4 box again after a system crash. It's
> intended to be a gateway. I can communicate with the other hosts on my
> network, but I can't communicate outside the network. netstat -r shows
> that I have the default route; ppp is connecting to my ISP and getting
> the dynamically assigned address. But I can't ping or traceroute outside
> my LAN. (They work fine internally.) I'm using NAT and I have the kernel
> recompiled with IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT. In rc.conf, natd and the
> firewall are enabled.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

	Is gateway_enable="YES in /etc/rc.conf?  If so, please provide
	output from the following commands to help us troubleshoot your
	problem:

	# ifconfig -a
	# netstat -rn
	# ps -aux |grep nat
	# ipfw -a l
	# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
-
 "Wouldn't it be great if we could answer people with a
  kick to the crotch?"  -maddox@xmission.com