Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:44:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        jimmy martin <hate00@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nmap...

>> So I checked my kernel to make sure bpf was there and...
>>
>> # The 'bpfilter' pseudo-device enable the Berkeley Packet Filter.
>> # Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
>> # The number of devices determines the maximum number of
>> # simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.
>> pseudo-device  bpfilter 1            #Berkeley packet filter
>>
>> So it appears to be there.   Any Ideas why my nmap wont work?

It looks like you have only 1 bpf supported in the kernel and some program
is probably already using it.  dhcp
client? arpwatch? trafshow? tcpdump? Anything else that uses bpf will take
the first available bpf.  If you need more than one at once, increase the
number in the kernel and make sure you have enough bpf devices in /dev.