Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:01:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Micke=20Sundberg?= <mickebsd@yahoo.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Gateway question

On 10-Aug-00 Micke Sundberg wrote:
> If I make my FreeBSD box as an gateway - Can I do
> every thing on the other computers in network on
> internet that the FreeBSD box?
> IE ftp server, irc, play diablo battle.net ?
> AND
> Is it smart to have a gateway on modem.
> I got fast connection soon anyway!
>
> Thanks / Mikael

1. Yes, you might have to do some tweaking of the firewall, i.e.
portforwarding and setting up some sort of auth service on the BSD box. I
haven't played Diablo through my own firewall but Half-Life works just fine.
If you want to have services running on machines behind the firewall and you
only have one public IP you will have to use portforwarding, the only
downside is that you won't be able to use that port for other stuff, ie: if
you forward port 21 on the gateway to an internal host you won't be able to
set up an ftp-server on the gateway or any other machine since that port
will be in use.

The only thing that has been acting a bit weird is ICQ but I guess that can
be remedied by installing the socks5 proxy available in the portscollection.

2. It can be a good idea to have it even on a modem, especially if you have
your own internal network, it will also enable you to keep tracks on what
traffic there is.

E-Mail: Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>