Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:39:06 -0400
From:      Jon Parise <jcptch@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: philosophy of web administration

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 01:29:29AM -0400, Ayan George wrote:

> I'd like to implement a standard web directory structure where a
> user has to place his or her web information in the standard
> public_html directory.  If they want a domain, a subdirectory called
> domains will be added.  Under it, directories for each of their
> domains would reside like:
>
> 	~user/public_html/
> 	~user/domains/mydomain.com/
> 	~user/domains/myseconddomain.com/
> 	~user/domains/logs/  ( for log files for domains. )
>
> 	(1) Does my web directory hierarcy make sense?

It's pretty straightforward, and I'm sure the users will like it.
You didn't mention how you have directory permissions set.  If all
users on the system below to a 'users' group, you could have one
user browsing another users logs, for example.  Anyway, that's one
concern.

If you enforce quotas on you system, this scheme will make things a
little more difficult to work out as far as disk usage is concerned.

What I did at the ISP I used to work with was devote a separate
server to all things virtual/hosting related.  It handle all mail
traffic using qmail and vmailmgr so that I didn't need to run
around creating accounts for bogus virtual email addresses and
stuff.  I ran the web servers and ftp servers in chroot'ed
environments using a scheme like this:

/virtual/domain.org/www
/virtual/domain.org/ftp
/virtual/domain.org/logs

... and so on.

The most difficult part was educating users on where to place their
files, etc., but I feel the gain in administrative ease and
security was worth the setup and implementation time.

This also kept the potential for nfs traffic down a bit, too.

--
Jon Parise (parise@pobox.com)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
http://www.pobox.com/~parise/  :  Computer Science House Member