Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2008 19:28:36 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, hartzell@alerce.com
Subject:   Re: ZFS Advice

--nextPart29072657.oddkThEjFf

> The AoC-SAT2-MV8 is based on the "Marvell Hercules-2 Rev. C0 SATA host
> controller", which seems to be AKA 88SX6081, which is listed as
> supported by the ata driver in 7.0-RELEASE.  Has anyone had any ZFS
> experience with it?

Yes; it has been working quite fine for me with 7 up to a release-candidate=
=2E=20
In 7.0-RELEASE you must disable the hptrr driver because it eats the device=
=2E=20
See:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/120615
   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/120842

When I say "working fine", this is with 8 SATA drives (6 of them in a raidz=
2,=20
two of them for other stuff) and not having any issues like corruption,=20
timeouts or whatever else people have had with shaky controllers.

However, I cannot speak to performance because it's a PCI-X card that I've=
=20
plugged into a PCI slow, so throughput is limited by the PCI bus (and the=20
machine is otherwise not the fastest to begin with).

Note that this is on 32 bit; haven't been able to try it on 64 bit because =
I=20
the PCI-X card wouldn't work on the motherboard (again PCI, so it's=20
hit-and-miss) where I would otherwise have tried it.

I'd love to find a buyable PCI-E version that also worked in FreeBSD... I'l=
l=20
see if the link in your post contains any such hints.

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org