Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 17:27:07 -0600
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel stops when APM is loaded

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Well, the problem that I am seeing is more like this:
> >
> > As the kernel is loading it's reporting back what devices are found. When
> > it gets to apm0 it reports that it found it and that it is of type 1.2 and
> > stops there. It is almost as if it is spinning it's wheels waiting for
> > something. The keyboard doesn't respond to ``normal'' keypresses but a
> > CTRL-ALT-DEL does get captured by the kernel and the machine reboots. I
> > don't get this behavior with a kernel built on (or about) May 4th
> > (3.1-STABLE) but I do get it with any kernel from subsequent builds.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to any changes in the APM code (or the code that it
> > interacts with) that might be where this problem is occuring. I'm not
> > really sure how to check what, if anything, has changed in the apm code.
>
> If it's printed the APM information, it's probably finished with the
> APM stuff and onto the next probe.  You need to redirect your attention
> elsewhere...

I've rebuilt the kernel with the apm line commented out and it boots just
fine. That's why I'm thinking it's apm related. I'm willing to hear that
it's not the apm code but if it's not then it's probably something that
comes after it. I'm not really sure what to look for since it works fine
w/o apm0 in the config file but ``breaks'' when I add it back in.

I'd really like to do a clean upgrade to 3.2 but I'm concerned that I'll
lose the APM functionality. It's nice to know when my battery is about to
die on my laptop ;-)

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
". . .so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have, right by the
exit, just next to the blues." --Nick Hornby _High_Fidelity_