Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 16:44:01 +0100
From:      Richard Bown <richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   k3b again

Hi all
I've been using k3b for several years, and the behaviour I'm seeing,
I have not seen until starting to use FreeBSD.
Therefore, it is the way its been ported.
Everytime the k3b starts it complains:-
No CD/DVD writer found.
K3b did not find an optical writing device in your system. Thus, you
will not be able to burn CDs or DVDs. However, you can still use other
K3b features like audio track extraction or audio transcoding or
ISO9660 image creation.
at least now there is

the button "startk3bSetup2"
and you get in and there is:-

Sony DVD RW DW-G120A dev/cd0 660 root richard-1

and if I start to burn a CD...cant !!!!
So I though now I've got it to automount , chuck in a music CD and run
juice extractor, which started up and listed all the tracks
hit play or extract#

Error playing CD.

Reason: Could not open CD device for reading.

gb7tf# ls -la /dev/cd0
crw-rw----  1 root  richard-1    0, 115 May  9 15:18 /dev/cd0

I'm in group richard-1
I got my new printer today, the old one had a firmware fault.
So started cupsd, used the browser to open port 631..
no printers !!!!!!!

I'm sorry guys but someone needs to say it, that moving to FreeBSD is a
masochistic ride into purgatory.
I've used up a weeks holiday /vacation trying to get a working usable
system, where as I could have setup everything in linux in a few hours,
even if I'd chosen to use Slackware. I should have been playing radio
I'll give to midnight (GMT), and if I'm not further forward with a
working system , it will be time to draw a line underneath it and return
to using linux.
and to be honest PCBSD is a pain as it pays no attention to the
partition table when installing, blatting itself over the largest
partition and ignoring the rest. And I think most people use the
largest partitions either as the home dir or as non system storage.
Even the most nannified of linux distros give a choice on installation,
whether to use the existing partitions or not

I really appreciate all the help that's been given especially by Diane
and Konstantin, without them I would not have stayed trying as long as
I have.

I'm sorry if my comments offend, they are not intended to.

--

Best Wishes
Richard Bown