Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 18:17:07 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop recommendations in France / Europe?

At 4:04 PM +0200 5/10/01, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>  I'll probably not be going to England any time soon, and anyway I've
>  heard that things are pretty expensive there... but I may travel a bit
>  around other countries in the summer, and basically any schengen
>  country is a possibility.

	If you can get to Paris, you can get to London in just another
three hours via Eurostar.  My wife and I do it all the time -- it's
much better than the plane.

	Of course, the UK is not a Schengen country, there's no doubt
about that.  I've had my own concerns about going through there as
much as we do, but it hasn't caused any problems for us yet.

	However, I believe Ireland might be a Schengen country, so you
should check that out.

	Short of being able to go to the UK or ordering the thing online,
it hurts me to say it, but Belgium is probably your next most
English-friendly country.  They've got a 40% ex-pat population in
Brussels, and a 20% ex-pat population throughout the country, and
most stores I've gone into are able to order an English-language
keyboard if you specify that before obtaining the model.

	Otherwise, you have to go through the kind of hell I did -- where
you buy the last remaining PowerBook G3 laptop available in any store
in the country, but it has a Belgian AZERTY keyboard, and they have
to search all over creation and use all their back-door contacts to
get a replacement keyboard, without going through the normal "Send it
back to Apple" bullshit.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */