Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 19:59:56 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Cary <scattered@babel.acu.edu>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dhclient problems

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 16:22, Cary wrote:
> I've had my box up and running for about 2 weeks, no problems. About
> 5 days ago, I suddenly started getting the following message in my
> system logs:
> Sep  4 20:39:54 fledermaus dhclient: send_packet: Permission denied
>
> I have the kernel firewall (ipfw) installed and have used the rc.d
> script to start it up on bootup, as a client computer. But the
> dhcp.lease is recieved
> without any problem when I bootup, so I don't think ipfw is the source
> of the problem.  If I turn my computer reboot my computer, it may or
> may not get the lease at first, but then it will. Afterwards, I can
> access the network and all, but then these messages start showing up
> again. My ability to get work done is not affected (that I've noticed)
> but it is very annoying to have to scroll through the syslogs and
> seeing this repeated ad infinitum.

I hit this one a little while back with firewalls. If I'm remembering incorrectly,
someone else feel free to correct me.
When the machine first boots up, and it doesn't know who the DHCP
server will be, it does ethernet broadcasts to find a DHCP server and config
its networking.
However, once it's been running for a while and it's time to renew the
DHCP lease, it connects to the server in a different manner - which can
be adversely affected by firewall rules.
I don't remember the details (i.e. ports and firewall rules to allow DHCP)
but the way I figured it out was to run a sniffer (ethereal or tcpdump) and
see what was actually happening. You can do the same.

-Bill

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services