Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:34:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, <audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: change to linux/Makefile

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 09:00:11PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > The first problem was that there was no linux_syscall anyway. The second
> > problem was that even when I regen'd them for -stable, the compile wasn't
> > finding them.
>
> linux_syscall.h, linux_proto.h and linux_sysent.c will be generated on
> the fly when you do a make depend. Did you do a make depend?

In RELENG_4, linux_proto.h is generated at commit time for i386's only.
For alphas, the generated linux_proto.h is included using a confusing pathname
(<linux_proto.h>; should be "linux_proto.h").  <>-style includes are
logically relative to the top of the sys tree and ""-style includes are
logically relative to the compile directory.  Unfortunately, -I- makes
<>-style includes physically equivalent to ""-style includes.

> > BTW- I'm not 100% convinced that similar problems are avoided in -current- by
> > my having both a /usr/src on all of my machines as well as a /tstsys I
> > probably get lots of unintentional 'sorta maybe kind mostly works' situations.
>
> On -current I reverted the generation-on-the-fly of the abovementioned
> files, because we are missing the support in general for that. That's
> probably why it works on -current.

Bruce